PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - XM607, Waddington's Warbird
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2006, 15:54
BEagle

Received 328 Likes on 115 Posts
Something which surprised me on a recent visit to Waddington, was the almost total lack of Vulcan memorabilia to be seen.

An ex-Black Buck captain has recently told me why. It seems that, much as 61bit tried to hide their Vulcan heritage when they received their short-range low-payload 2-person bombers in the early '80s, some tit at Waddington announced that "This is now an Air Defence NimWACS base - all V-force items will be disposed of!". So countless years of Vulcan stuff were simply thrown out - my colleague managed to save some, but the rest was destroyed.

Appalling. During our visit we were supposed to have a group photo by an ex-23 Sqn Phantom. Which has absolutely no relevance to Waddo; 'twould have been doubly insulting for an ex-Firebird to be seen by one of the 'Crows' aircraft. Fortunately, the photo didn't happen - our I would have asked the hosts why it wasn't being taken in front of XM607!

The fast-jet centric RAF has yet to realise that it is the RAF's large ac and RW fleets which have primarily been on Ops continually for the last few decades at least. What do they ask for whenever Bliar has another little 'come as you are' war? Hercs, tankers, Nimrods, recce and helicopters. Do they ask for poseur fag-chariots? Err, no. Harriers, yes - because only they can operate from the RN's ships or tatty forward airstrips. Then a few pointy-heads in the MoD start wanting to play, so a handful of other things are sent along, together with a RAF News photographer.....

So bŁoody well stump up and look after XM607, a famous aeroplane which played a hugely significant part in winning the South Atlantic conflict!!