PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 2
Thread: CORK - 2
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2006, 19:07
lm06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan2000
It must also be said that Irish people in general did not support Easyjet but invariably travelled to London with Ryanair and Aerlingus.

Their name recognition just didn't penetrate the Irish market and they generally just captured UK originating traffic.

Having said that I am sure they could sustain a daily ORK-LGW service if they really wanted to.
there's another reason for not supporting LGW routes in themselves apart from brands...they're a pain

Gatwick is a 40 quid cab ride from London...an hour...it's a 40min train ride. Prices from LGW have to be 50 quid better and then add more to justify the time.....LHR only 15 mins from Paddington or 25 mins from say Knightsbridge on all but the busiest times

I know Stansted is miles out too but it's got cheapflights to beat the band where LGW is more charter-city with some cheapos tacked on. Go to Gatwick and you see charter people, go to STN and you see cheap flights people. People are conditioned to go to STN for cheap flights and LHR if time is important. EI flights are really competitive from LHR to be fair. I tried to give EZY from LGW a look-in a few weeks back (been reading too much on here maybe) but it was still better value to fly LHR-SNN and take my chances with the coonagh-dock road drive of shame ! :-) than take EZY to Cork. I reckon they'd have better luck if they did LTN-ORK

Even people living south of the river in London go to LHR....my argument may not be accurate and i do live 15mins from LHR at a walking pace..but I think that's a good stab at why LGW isn't a vote-winner for routes home