PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Aviation Training (OAT) - Who has got a job?
Old 22nd Jul 2006, 15:35
elevengflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilotdom
I will be able to keep my current job and will not have to get a job when im qualified ill be able to apply and apply and apply and not have to worry about paying back loans.
That sounds like a great plan - it was the same one I had! The reality can, however be very different: For a start you need to give 100% to doing the theory (failing exams is the last thing you want to be doing) and that is not easy I managed it for three quarters of the course and then decided to sacrifice my existing career. This is partly because of point 2 and that is the fact that in my experience there is no such thing as part time flying training - you will find that the training school tell you you're flying at 09.00, BUT things happen and you may not get a slot until 16.00. If you turn that slot down you wont be popular and even more significantly will lose valuable training time.
Some schools will also try to sell you a (modular) course on the pre-text that you can carry on working, BUT think very carefully befor you swallow this line! The benefit to them may be around £30-£40K so they have a vested interest in you signing up. You're attitude is admirable, BUT BEWARE!