PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue EBA
Thread: Virgin Blue EBA
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2006, 09:23
737NG_Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to the one of the forums. My thoughts are as such (and these are only MY thoughts - its important that everyone reads up the full details and forms their own opinions):

- In MY opinion, the work rules are not good. The possibility of very long days (ie 4 sectors, 11 1/4 hours or something if I recall correctly) does not work for me - a 9hr45min day knocks me around enough now as it is. The fatigue management system is apparently designed to negate the tiring effects of long days, but I am not convinced.
- The Kronos PBS looks fantastic, although I am concerned at the 2 year 3-phase rollout period.
- Possibility (waiting for confirmation) that 15 hours min rest at home will reduce
- Trip break down, out of something like 1640 trips per month, included approx 44% day trips, then a mixture of 2,3,4,5,6 and 7 day trips. The long ones (5,6,7 days) were all only very low percentages (ie 1%, 2% etc)
- 5 Sector days are a possibility
- Split shifts now to include LST, ROK, SYD, MKY and CBR. This really irritated me, as we were told in the april forums "not to worry about the split shifts, they will ONLY be for ROK and there will only be something like 20 (cant recall exact number) per month"

My main view on all this is that IF the PBS works the way its advertised, then this may well all be ok. However, the problem is that if we sign on the dotted line, the work rules ARE gaurenteed - the success rate of the PBS is NOT. Meaning you can get rosters under these work rules that you really really really don't want - but too bad, because there is nothing in writing gaurenteeing the success of the PBS system... and the PBS system is the main selling point that was pushed in the forum.

Also, judging on the talk about $$ etc, I doubt we can expect anything higher than 3% per annum over 3 years - even though there is going to be an increase in productivity and a reduction in hotel and transport costs.
There is still no talk of how many hours per month we will be able to work, however under a 28 day roster there WILL be 13 rosters a year. They mentioned looking at being able to be rostered up to a range of hours, to give the PBS system the ability to give you what you want. I wonder what the range will be? If its anything higher than 129 per month, which is the 28day equivalent of our current 140 a month, the question I would ask is: why on earth would we vote in a system that is going to require us to work more to earn the same money????????

In my opinion there were some positive points and some negative points, and I strongly recommend everyone gets to the forurms and keeps themselves updated on whats going on, so they can form their own opinions and vote accordingly.

Oh, and I have reason to believe that whats being said on here is being read and communicated back to those who make these decisions