PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Irish invite US pilots to work in Europe...
Old 21st Jul 2006, 06:38
MOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hell, its damn expensive if you are starting from scratch, then to do it all over again...sorry thats too much to expect of anyone in my opinion!!!
It also depends WHEN you do it... I did my UK (as it was then) licence in 1988. At the time, the airlines were so short of crews that one even offered to pay for my GFT's and Multi Instrument Rating... how could one refuse...

If you take your Irish or British JAA ticket to france...you will not get a job.
Well, not quite true... I know a few Brits in Air France, and of course Cityjet pilots are effectively working for Air France too. I used to work for Sabena on a validation of a UK licence. I take your point though, when it comes to JAA, the Brits are regarded as the suckers of Europe.

You are talking about one or two exceptions, who may be available as opposed to blokes who can start right away.
The people I am talking about are available immediately, as opposed to having to emigrate from the US... but more to the point, why should there be any exceptions at all? My friend could probably find work elsewhere, but only if he buys a type rating... surely you can't approve of him having to do that?

Im pretty sure if one goes from NZ to AUS they dont have to do 14 exams and do training from scratch and a new MCC and a new type do they?
NZ and AU have an agreement called the Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Agreement, or TTMRA, under which we recognise each others' licences (with a law exam). However, interestingly the Aussies will recognise any ICAO licence, current or not, which doesn't happen in NZ. We don't do MCC (yet).

plus before the modular route came about all there was in the UK was oxford or cabair, and those damn places cost a fortune.
Oh, come now... what about places like Leavesden, EAA at Fairoaks, Bristol Flight Centre, all the schools at places like Perth and Prestwick and Humberside and Southend? I did mine at EAA, no problems and pretty quick too. In the late '80s there were dozens of schools doing CPL/IRs.

And then there are the other JAA schools operating in Spain and the south of France... no wx problems there.

Anyway it's an interesting topic. Pity I'm not over there at the moment, it would be good to get together and discuss it over an ale or two!