PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Second Officers leaving Cathay?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2006, 10:08
The Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manage/Control

I think we manage quite well don’t you think? Profit of $3.2 billion and the staff didn’t get a cent. Do you know what my bonus subsisted of? It was very nice to say the least.

It cost money to manage staff and the less control we have, the more money we waste. We pay our staff, but we take in back in productivity, annual leave, rosters, staff travel and no pay raises to mention a few. Your annual increment is your pay rise.

Look at all the carriers in the North America that have relinquished control to their staff, I believe they call it Chapter 11.

I will make myself clear, you will never have “Control” over your roster, annual leave and we will continue to make money on staff travel and no pay raises. We will take productivity when we need it. Do you remember RP 2001 (700 to 900 hrs/annum)?

We will “Manage” to hire Direct Entry First Officers on a base/Hong Kong on reduced salary and Cabin Crew more frequently on a base/Hong Kong.

Contracts are binding in honour only as you will see with those 49er court cases in Hong Kong. If you contemplate capturing some control, we will have a reason to dismiss some pilots. So thread very lightly. Your current boys club realises this.

We may have a couple pilots young enough to start over, but for 99% of the pilots, where can you go? You know it and we know it.

The only pilots leaving are the one we don’t need. We are only keeping individuals willing to extend on your B scale without benefits, but we grandfathered a few.

We are frugal and the pilots are very foolish and being self-serving is a real bonus. You must say, that is a prominent way to “Manage”. Just taking money out of your pockets.

Our shareholders adore us. We can “Manage” to buy Dragonair and increase our shares in Air China. Your 13th month with fund that purchase and you are bewildered if you think about profit sharing next year.

We Manage/Control and we get all the bonus, except for staff of course. As for “Sir”, not in your lifetime.

To be blunt, we don’t care if you are happy, as long as you show up for work and get the job done, we don’t really care.

The Management