PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lebanon Operations, Strikes, and Evacuation Discussions (Merged)
Old 18th Jul 2006, 03:55
Roadster280

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've a Beirut stamp in my passport. I was quite pleased with the reconstruction after the war there. The airport was most impressive. All shiny and new, marble floors, LCD displays everywhere and all.

I don't have any Israeli stamps, (on account of the Arabic ones), though I've been there many times. Israel is a ****hole. Just my observation, having seen all sides of the fences around that area. The odd lighthouse of civilisation (read Marriott or similar hotel) in a sea of trouble. I stayed in the Intercontinental, one of the best hotels I have ever been in, absolutely fantastic. Right across the road from the scene of a nightclub bombing.

I'm British. I live in the US. "Our" involvement (read that any way you like, it's the same) should be to extract our citizens. A directed military operation, in the classic sense of rescuing one's citizens. And those of our friends.

I'm neither for or against Lebanon, Israel, Arabs or Jews. I'm just sick to the back teeth of losing people over a ****hole. Let's get "our" people out of there, and leave those that wish to fight to get on with it. May the best man win. Bollox to a UN "peacekeeping" force. It has not been managed for the last 50 years, so why would a few blue hats and white trucks make a difference now? Been there, got that beret, painted the trucks green again at the end of it.

God speed to the Royal Navy, the Royal Air Force and allied forces as they extract our people.

</SoapBox>