PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One group..........or we're finished!!
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2006, 23:25
Charliethewonderdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aircraft
Charliethewonderdog,
You seem to be saying that Auswest Airlines couldn't get pilots because there is a pilot shortage. Have you considered the possibility that their offering wasn't good enough to attract the pilots?
You mentioned some of the terms and conditions. Please give all the T&Cs (as best you can) so that we can make a valued judgement as to whether the job was "worth it". Please also state the experience levels that were required.
If I remember correctly, 500 hours multi was one of the experience requirements. Is it also true that the pilots would have had to spend some time living at the mine sites (e.g Pannawonica, Yandicoogina)? And that they would be in the right hand seat for much of the flying?
It still sounds to me like it was the underlying economics that killed the operation, which after all, is the most common reason for any business venture to fail.
Sure, Rio Tinto was prepared to pay enough to enable a 62.5k package but was that enough? Were they prepared to go higher or was that the limit they considered for an operation using Barons and Navajos?
Yes The pilots were living in Places like Pannawonica, T tree (free food on top of the package) and Karatha. Big deal.
And yes there were hour requirements, 500+ Multi being the big one. And this is the requirement that was the most difficult to find, because of a lack of pilots with this experience, pretty simple.

What part of this do you not understand??????? The company could not find pilots??? maybe because there is a pilots shortage?

The pilots who were there left because jobs in turbo prop rpt operations where snapping them up, becuase of the level of experience that they had. If the Rpt operations were not recruiting then there is a good chance Auswest would still be operating. I dint know how long you have been in the Industry but times a very good for experienced drivers.