PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One group..........or we're finished!!
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2006, 09:44
Charliethewonderdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aircraft
The Auswest Airlines example you cited was not necessarily caused by pilot shortage. Instead, I would suggest that the underlying economics could not justify the operation (i.e the mining companies were not prepared to pay Auswest the dough they needed to attract and retain suitable pilots. The high cost of accommodation in Karratha wouldn't have helped the economics).
If it is true that the flying schools are seeing reduced numbers of students then this will improve the supply/demand situation in the future.
Justify the operation you suggest. The work was there, the planes were there, the pay was good.......but no pilots.

Ok you dont know what happened at Auswest.I'll fill you in from a reliable sole.

Auswest paid a 62.5K package. No rent to be paid, power etc. The wages and conditions were subsidised from the client, Rio Tinto..... the contract Needed pilots with x amount of experience ect..... even with wages well above what a captain on Braz's or metro's get plus free rent they still could not keep pilots, why you might ask? because of a lack of pilots. Pretty simple.

The tide has turned. Warning to employers, you can't make money with out pilots, and you make more with good ones, so learn how to keep them or you will go under.