PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Capt declines moot long haul duty time extension call?
Old 17th Jul 2006, 04:54
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Events as I understand them. All second hand so may not be 100% accurate.

Aircraft was LAX-AKL and diverted to HNL with a punter with a medical issue. I'm not sure where they were when they diverted. From my understanding of events from there, crew offered to get the aircraft to Nadi but for whatever reason couldn't get it to destination. At some stage a decision was made (I assume the company OK'd it) to take the aircraft back to LAX. Rumour mill suggests that by time it all got sorted it was 12 hours LAX-HNL-LAX.

Beyond that, I don't know if captain/ crew has been stood down or not. I do know that there was some ringing around in LAX looking for crew....no one tried me though!?!?! I'm not 100% sure who the crew was but if they pulled the pin on fatigue issues they have my full support.

On a seperate note I said to one of the 'stars' in May that I felt that we were approaching a time where disengagement was going to start impacting on what a crew felt they could push through- therefore start costing in a big way. Up until then I felt that the crew were still engaged with the operation (if not the company) to a degree that we would still go the extra mile and give the extension the benefit of the doubt. I wonder if that time is now here and crew are no longer prepared to give the same consideration.

Interesting times.