PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian Airbus crash
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2006, 22:09
Basil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. I have a great deal of respect for Eastern Block pilot abilities (although over the last 10 years or so I thought they were demonstrating the superiority of the Russian bangseat at various air displays )
2. I have the impression that these guys have an excellent 'gung ho!' attitude which I am sure would have served them as well against us if the Cold War had turned hot as it did their their forefathers in tanks in WW2.
3. I don't care how many 'CRM courses' they do - they have to learn that in civil aviation the three most important things are SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY!
As Danny is so often wont to say: "It is not a willy waving contest."
4. and oh, yes, whilst the Captain is without doubt in command of the aircraft, the first officer must take some responsibility for a severe fvckup - so all you FOs just have a think about what you are going to do when it becomes clear that the captain is going to land high/long/fast on a wet/slippery runway - YOU are now the last person who can prevent a catastrophe.

SO, for any Russian/East European pilots reading this: If you want to prove how bold you are: get into a fight, ride a motorbike, do low level aerobatics, marry a German, Scottish, American bird but please don't fly the aeroplane I'm passengering in