PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Smintair
Thread: Smintair
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2006, 18:59
LibertAir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Niche market?

Actually, according to the World Bank's Disease Control Priorities Project (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv...2.section.6700)
over 1.1 billion adults worldwide smoke. Granted, most of these are from lower or middle class income countries but think of the millions of middle class and upper income people in the U.S. alone who are smokers, even if only casually, such as the much touted cigar afficienado.

As a 20 year smoker who flies frequently, I have to subject myself to elaborate pre-flight rituals in order to cope with the hours in air without smoking. Yes, I know it is bad for my health, yes I acknowledge there is a great risk from second hand smoking and, yes, I realize that the vast majority of my fellow fliers despise my obnoxious, yet totally legal, habit. But as a libertarian minded individual I also feel that it is neither the government's right or responsibility to pass laws to curb my legal, albeit annoying, behavior. I can not tell you how many times, half way through an eight hour flight, crammed into a too tight seat inside a hurling tin can with surly attendants, minimal amenities and equally obnoxious and annoying fellow fliers that I would pay any amount of money to be able to stretch out smoke a cigarette and enjoy my flight in peace.

And that, I believe, is precisely who will be attracted to this option. Obviously, it will be much more expensive than your typical budget class flight. But, if I want to spend those eight hours in the lounge pounding away on my lap top chain smoking and caffeinating all along the way, that will be my choice and I will happily pay or the privilege. I believe millions of others will as well, particularly business people and those cigar smoking celebrities who grace the covers of afficienado magazines.

Mock the idea all you want. I, on the other hand, will be taking a closer look at that investment portfolio and planning my flights accordingly.