PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The never-ending 'Modular vs. Integrated' debate - merged ad nauseam
Old 14th Jul 2006, 01:13
Wazzoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear you sicky. I've been thinking the same and pretty much come to the same conclusions.

The truth is there is a discrepancy between the prices for modular compared to integrated for what esentially, no, actually is the same license. Anyone should look at those numbers and wonder why even consider integrated training at such a cost.

But at the end of the day its the employment opportunities afterwards that dictates things the most for people. In many peoples minds, whether you're £35K in debt or £75K in debt pales into insignificance if you don't land a reasonable paying job soon after training.

There is the element, as you say, that once you've got the license via the modular route then you're on your own usually (noting of course that many people have had similar experiences with integrated schools). And then you have the perception - whether or not its right - from (largely jet) airlines, that says integrated training is the only way.

All of which conspires to make what should be a very attractive course/route to look less desirable and seem more risky.

And while I would love to go down the modular route, and I still may do, the possiblity that it might lead to less job opportunities and more risk means I find myself erring towards an integrated course.

Its something I've definitely pondered over a lot and will probably keep wondering about it for a while to come I guess!

Usual disclaimer: That's a very general view, there are of course a number who won't fit with that. Not everyone has the choice of getting a big enough loan to cover an integrated course, not everyone wants to jump into a jet first thing, others may simply disagree on the principle that the system has produced such a lopsided situation and not wish to conform to it.