PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gyrocopters/Autogyros
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2006, 01:10
SASless

Received 558 Likes on 227 Posts
Brings back Nightmares these things do!

While a Civil Air Patrol cadet growing up....we had gyrocopters about the squadron grounds. The training copter was sat on a platform built on the rear of a pickup truck and secured loosely by chains so the aircraft could rise about a foot off the platform as the pickup truck drove down the taxiway providing the wind to drive the rotor.

The trick was to keep the copter centered over the platform while motoring down the taxiway.

Small bit of info was left out of the two minute brief by the instructor....that being "don't pull against the chains!"

Two of us nubbins strapped in and had our first gyrocopter training flight....each teaching the other.

About halfway down the trail....we managed to slightly overstress the rotor blades to the extent that one went walkies quite suddenly and without not much fanfare. The remaining blade opened up a huge can of whoop ass and spilled it all over the two of us, the pickup and anything within striking distance.

No broken bones but the pickup definitely had seen better days, the copter was a write off and we two budding aviators looked like we had each gone a dozen rounds with Mike Tyson, Mo Ali, Cutworm Smith, and a couple of other thugs.

That one "flight" cured me of gyrocopters.

Later as an instructor, when asked by a gyrocopter pilot to sign off a Biennial Flight Review, I would very politely but firmly tell them, not only would I not....but I would deny ever having met him.