PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot magazine and the OAT chap
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2006, 14:53
boogie-nicey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Let's not overlook the huge cost of training it seems we have been immersed in flight training so long that these prices seem normal. In fact I'd say we're somewhat immune to their shocking presence. If I were to tell members of the public about training for their dream job and then say it'd be a minimum of lets say £50k their eyes would no doubt open wide.

There are programmes on TV that report on the sad consequences of bad debt and the ruinous effect it has on personal and family life, in some cases suicide and or serious mental issues. Most of those reports are for people with a fairly good income and are still struggling, how can such a huge debt be taken on lightly? OAT claim their courses cost £XXX's which is on high end of the scale to start with then they end up paying even more towrads the end after the student has passed the point of no return. Of course OAT claims that they have safeguards in place protecting student expenditure if they seem weak or 'behind the curve' during the earlier stages of training. However what about those students that will utlimately pass but only after numerous attempts and racking up even more debt when they're not working anyway?

I am NOT trying to put OAT down, I am merely highlighting the frightening relationship between training, cost and consequently personal debt. It's not a game and like many who take out loans or other forms of borrowing the glossy adverts of a happy smiling couple holding a cheque for thier new car, sofa, kitchen, holiday disguises the more than equal dismay as every month the money gets deducted (effectively cutting your salary) reverting people to think that was X years ago and still the repayments..... hmmm ..... was that really worth it? Could it have been done in another way....? Aviation training is indeed a syllabus but it needs to go hand-in-hand with common sense.

Last edited by boogie-nicey; 14th Jul 2006 at 09:09.