PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two men injured as plane crashes
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2006, 11:39
Paris Dakar

First off, let me say that I'm pleased that the folk in this incident escaped without serious injury. Not personally knowing the area at all, the standing crops may have been their only option?

To suggest that someone is 'idiotic' for considering landing on a road seems a little harsh and a tad rude. You don't choose when and where to have engine problems therefore your choices of a suitable landing spot may well be limited. According to Gycoler's profile he operates out of the Isle of Man, so let's assume that you are overhead Douglas (but not within gliding distance of Ronaldsway) when you suffer an engine problem - one option that could be available might be the beach? But what if the engine problem happened if you were overhead Snaefell? Personally, I'd be opting to land on the road albeit twisty and narrow because I'd really doubt that landing on the surrounding craggy rocky area would be condusive to a succesful outcome.

I accept that the M25 at 08.30 would be a seriously poor error of judgement but the A1M just south of Newcastle at 05.30 could be a consideration if all else failed.