PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying and owning a lightie - costs involved?
Old 10th Jul 2006, 12:25
J430

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C172 V Jab/Tecnam

Mr Budgie says

I'll take the 172 over a Jabiru or Technam any day. The 172 will do stuff that a Jabiru or Technam simply can't. It needs more horsepower to do that, which means it'll have a higher fuel burn.

Now first recall I said about horses for corses, and experimental cat. may be the go...well lets get serious. And i am sure Squawk will back me here. the Tecnam is lovely and more expensive than the Jab, but its slower and is 2 seat and costs more than my Jab J430, which is almost IFR...it is not and will not, but hey, its pretty damn sexy. So lets take the slower less capable Tecnam out now.

Back to J430 V C172/Warrior. Speed 10-15knots more with 20LPH V 35LPH burn. Climb rate with identical load (jab will take more if identical fuel range on board)....mate the Jab will dissapear before your eyes and by 3500 feet you will have lost them completely. Speed and climb are way better. Same useful load, in fact we can caryy more, further faster for less fuel.

Ok we are not a type certified plane.

next is in flight comfort....more room...yes MORE, and no yoke, throttle and mixture etc to get in the road of maps being folded, ERSA being opened or even a drink of water being passed around. Comfort in my a/c is way better.

Is the C172 a bad plane....NO way, I loved it, but I tell you for sure, I love owning the J430 a whole heap more. And its nice to fly. And its got nice colour TV's instead of 38 year old technology that keeps costing a fortune to fix. How do I know..............I do, but ask around, its true.

Would I fly either, yes I have, but really for the purpose of private VFR flight for work or pleasure at around $38 to $40 max per hour plus fixed costs of hangar and insurance....say $70-$80 Per Hour if you do fly it a bit....and when its so much cheaper you will fly it more, its hard to justify double that or more that many are paying. If you want a C172...rent it from the aeroclub.

Cheers and just enjoy whatever you are blessed with being able to fly. Hang the cost!!!!

J