PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AFGHANISTAN - Do We Never Take In The Lessons From History?
Old 8th Jul 2006, 18:46
dallas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Golf Charlie Charlie
But no-one reads history any more in the internet age. I am absolutely amazed (and despondent) that the UK has got itself into this situation.
I'm equally amazed. I didn't know much about Afghanistan until recently and only write here now with a combination of what I have read intermingled with a spattering of common sense. But I'm not running the country and committing British Forces to battle.

What are our processes when invasion/liberation is considered? Who do we ask for background and analysis? Surely our advisors on Iraq and Afghanistan are now looking elsewhere for work?

On 10 Sep 2001 you'd never have believed the state we now find ourselves in and our government needs to understand this isn't just another facet of governing that can be managed with spin, initiatives and sound bites. If they get this one wrong there'll be more than embarrassing headlines, waiting lists or wasted taxes; people will die and blame can only rest at the door of the British government for being so ill-prepared and ill-equipped.