PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AFGHANISTAN - Do We Never Take In The Lessons From History?
Old 8th Jul 2006, 16:22
Jaguar001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dallas
Even though I said "Hope it does not end like it did for the Soviets". I know the situation is different now. The rebels are not supported by a rival superpower. They also lack the sophisticated equipment that the NATO forces have. But I agree with Tigs2 that NATO troop levels are too low.
I also agree about the need to help the poor farmers who grow the poppy drops for the durg lords and introduce them to other cash crops.

I however feel pessimistic about the future of Afganistan because it seems the poeple in that country are too entrenched in a life that has adapted to a war way of life. There are too many warlords with personal agendas to see that the current status quo is maintained.

I may be wrong but did the Taleban not actually destroy the poppy production, and some of these durg warlords actually assist the american invasion just after 9/11. So now they are back to their old ways.

I also read that the Afgan national army are poorly equiped and are out matched by the Taleban forces. Maybe NATO should provide the Afgan national army modern arms. I saw on tv they carry russian arms.