PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Irish invite US pilots to work in Europe...
Old 8th Jul 2006, 08:39
captjns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MOR
How do you get "anti-American" from that? In any case, this has nothing to do with Americans, it's to do with the Irish.
From your original posting... I guess.

Originally Posted by MOR
Apparently the Irish CAA has now decided that it is perfectly OK to allow the Mesaba crews to follow their aircraft to Ireland and fly around Europe, under what is little more than a flag of convenience.

Naturally, Irish (or European) pilots would never be allowed reciprocal rights. I see this as a dangerous precedent, particularly as the US is so agressively protectionist.
Originally Posted by MOR
I have spoken directly to the agencies, who are simply regurgitating what they have been told by their client. You don't have to be "management" to be able to read a memo - although these people are management-level. Not good enough for you?
No! It's hear say. Show us the so-called memo on the company's letterhead that supports your claim.

Originally Posted by MOR
I am, but that isn't the point. The point is that Cityjet are engineering a position that allows them to hire cheap US labour on the basis of a faulty picture of the pool of available pilots. I said all this already.
I can tell you US pilots have taken up the arse once too many times when it comes to pay and benefits. I am here to tell you they ain't coming over here unless the pay is adequate and there is a QOL.

If you are typed and current on the 146 as a TRE and SFI, you may wish to donate some of your time to get your buds recurrent and requalified on the 146. Discuss the issue with a training facility that has a 146 regarding hourly prices for simulators. See if the IAA would be agreeable to such a plan. From what I understand they are resonable chaps.

Originally Posted by MOR
In the 20 years I have been involved in airline flying, I must have trained 40 or 50 foreign nationals for pilot positions in airlines I have worked for. Very few of them lasted a year before they went home (mostly Canadians).
You have to agree that expat employment is not for every individual. Lots have changed in the 30 years I have been involved with international flying, and international basings too.

Last edited by captjns; 8th Jul 2006 at 08:52.