PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar advertising for drivers in the Middle East
Old 5th Jul 2006, 15:49
ShockWave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't set out to be hard on anyone in particular, I just don't get it. On financial grounds alone you will not come anywhere near the disposable income of an EK Capt, even when you use his numbers.
I am not aware of the recent super changes, but that is still money that you can't use until you retire and then You can only use it as the government says, or you pay tax on that as well. If your wife works, or ever will then income splitting is only of minor benifit. If you ever intend to send your kids to private school you will be faced with a bill of between 10,000-15,000 OZ $ per kid. That is ofcourse after tax has come out of your salary so you are really paying around 20-24,000 $ per kid, and that won't leave enough disposable income left to invest in negative gearing property etc etc.
You really don't even need to do the math, just look at what the other airline there pays it's crews. You are only just being offered a QF F/O salary and that will psych you out eventually. (second class pilot and all that)

Go to Jetstar by all means, OZ is a great place but if you are doing it for financial reasons I think you will be terribly dissapointed.
Personnally I'd rather comute for Korean or some such airline, earn twice as much as JS are offering and you will proably spend more time at home.
Oh! and in case you are wondering how good the public school education is, just check out my spelling. Private is highly reccommended.