PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are the job prospects for new CPLs? (MERGED)
Old 4th Jul 2006, 09:01
tu154

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my CPL around the same time as Jemax, however I'm based in Ireland and the scene is a little different. I can't answer yes to one of his three criteria - are you willing to move anywhere for a job. However, I have a non flying job that lets me fly part time, and I'm not going to give that up any time soon.
On the IR, I went to a well known FI and IR training school to discuss options, and they discouraged me from doing the IR at this point. (245 hours). 1. Because with my eperience level I would struggle to pass it in the twin, and 2. without a job to go in to, or at least an offer of a job, it's no use. No one except the north sea operators is going to take on a low hour CPL with a basic IR and no IR experience. They also said that it's downright dangerous if the low houred IR pilot does not go into a structured environment to build on the initial training. So I've decided not to go that route at present. I also agree on the comments about the difficulty, this has been emphasised to me many times.
The way to go seems to be FI, but with a school you can build a relationship with that will also progress you in other ways. It's about personality and being in the right place at the right time to take advantage of an opportunity. It does happen.
Edited to say: By build a relationship I mean, possibly employ you as FI afterwards, give you a deal on training and type ratings, possibly positioning work etc.