PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are the job prospects for new CPLs? (MERGED)
Old 4th Jul 2006, 07:49
Camp Freddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tomstheword / pohm1,

£60k is the approximate cost of CPL(H) + FI rating
£70k is the approximate cost of CPL (H) + IR

in my opinion having instructed, done VFR charter/aerial work and North Sea, I would get an FI rating before you try and get an IR, because at least you will able to keep flying as an instructor, build your hours and work towards being employable for VFR charter/aerial work and hopefully get an IR down the line.

if you get a CPL(H) + IR, you are ony realistically employable by 3 companys Bond/Bristow/CHC and if they are not recruiting or if you fail selection, you are not really employable as a commercial pilot and you have no FI rating to get some experience either.

if you want to cover all the options and get a CPL(H) + FI rating + IR, that is going to cost approx £90k and its starting to sound a little expensive, but you would be in a better position. I would not reccomend this though it is just far too much to much to spend in my opinion on your career.

also what people never seem to mention is that an IR in a helicopter is the hardest thing you will ever do and big tough men have been known to suffer a lot of stress, and people do fail it, even if though they have spent £30k extra on it.

to answer the original question what happens after getting a CPL(H), the answer in many cases is "nothing", unless you have worked out what you are doing next.

if anyone is reckless enough to do a basic CPL only with no provision after that, they will surely be disapointed and have a big row with wife/ husband about how they have wasted all the savings / remortgage and possibly moved into the spare room

regards

CF

Last edited by Camp Freddie; 4th Jul 2006 at 07:59.