PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anything to do with Jetstar Recruitment (Merged)
Old 3rd Jul 2006, 22:41
ditzyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sylphie
and you can't base everthing off one unhappy worker.
Jetstar has more than one unhappy worker! Let me assure you.

When I said I would discourage people from being employed by them I meant anyone who mattered to me - friends etc. I reckon Jetstar serves a purpose for young people who want to experience great staff travel and being a flight attendant for say two years. After that you become a liabilty for the company and they will make sure you realise that. (Thug-like Managers have let that one slip more than once.) The rosters, nepotism and harrassment from most managers is enough to make even the happiest and most loyal of employees want to leave. I saw it happy time and time again at Jetstar. Sad but extremely true. I never flew with anyone with more than two years seniority who wasn't looking for a way out. (Actually, in all fairness I can think of one...)

Having said the above there are a couple of positives about working at Jetstar - which I used to get me through the day. And it is possible to have an enjoyable time there having such great crew. I seldom had bad days out on the line.

The proposed EBA is far inferior to the expired one and the fact it has been voted down speaks for itself really. Also Jetstar have new crew pay for all these things like medicals, personality tests etc. before they even know if they have the job. Also remember they are now having new crew sign a bond ($5000?) that forces them to pay money not only if they leave at their own accord but if they are sacked too. That is simply appalling, in my opinion. And under the new agreement Jetstar also wants new crew to pay for their own accommodation if being trained oustide their base. The great costs aside the mere idea of that sort of thing sends shivers down my spine.

We at Impulse and QantasLink toiled to make the company a great place to work and we were renowned for great service. We certainly didn't work so hard for it to amount in the airline and employment conditions we see today at Jetstar. Please do not insult me, Sheet, by suggesting I am bitter and twisted. I am conveying my honest feelings openly. I make no apology that they differ from yours. How long have you been at the Company anyway? I bet it's less than two years.

There are many senior flight attendants at Jetstar who feel exactly the same way. At the end of the day we all make our own choices in life. But you are simply deluded if you think there is only one or two unhappy crew or that they are simply having a whinge.

For all newbies and hopefuls (I was one once!) just do not go into this with rose coloured glasses. Can you afford to pay for your accomodation if required for a six week intake? If you get sacked in the first year can you afford the bond?

I certainly hope that my posts are helping some people to make informed decisions. That is all I am trying to do. Having worked there for 5.5 years I feel more than qualified to pass on my experiences. You have people like Sheet who send almost threatening PMs to me telling me to "be careful". Yet people like Sheet who claim to love working at Jetstar will not back up these claims with examples. I have gone to trouble to pass on my experience and my opinions using examples and in an open and honest way. Only to have Sheet PM me and tell me I am bitter and twisted. Yeah right - I have stated what I liked about the company. Doesn't sound like someone who is downright negative to me!

Sheet, would I go to this much trouble if I were just having a whinge? No. I would offer useless one-line posts such as yours.

Good luck, Guys. Just KNOW what you are getting in to. Ask around. There are many people here who will share their true Jetstar experiences and feelings (the good, the bad and the ugly). If you want to hear them.