PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are the job prospects for new CPLs? (MERGED)
Old 3rd Jul 2006, 13:58
lup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whirlygig

Whirlygig.
I did not make the the difference between commercial flying and instructing, read up a few threads to whirlybird, Quote "I'm now getting the impression I might get some commercial flying if I got more ratings, but I'll hit 60 in not that many years, so I'm not sure if it's worth the outlay, or even if I want to"

No, you guessed wrong again, I am not ex military pilot, and you can count on one hand how many civilian cpl(h)'s were in the UK when I started.

RJC is starting out at 37,by the time he gets the experience to be employable as a, for arguements sake, a charter pilot,free lance pilot, police/ems pilot etc, etc he will be way past 37.

Big mike, has hit the nail on the head for RJC's situation,IN MY OPINION.
No I can't explain why operators would prefer 27 over 37, but over the years I have seen a great many 20 something year old low time cv's go into file 13 next to a chief pilots desk.

If someone like RJC is going to invest his hard earned money in our industry, and asks for advice he needs to see the pitfalls before he makes the leap.

Whirlygig, sounds like I hit a nerve, on the instructor comment, was not intentional, but begs me to ask the question, what experience, other than instructing do you have to advise RJC?

Just an observation, not a dig.

RJC, I sincerley hope you make it despite the hurdles stacked against you,
good luck.