PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter drops big flag over London
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2006, 17:10
Stoic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On 5 June they dropped it by mistake over Bisham Woods near Marlow. I presume that, if they were required to, they reported the disaster to the CAA. I took several pictures of the flag fluttering to earth but don't seem to be able to paste any of them into this post. Any one know how to?

The flag is huge - 25,000 sq ft according to the Cabair guys who were looking for it. It landed in the woods just east of the A404 dual carriageway. It could have caused mayhem had it landed on the road.

According to the Cabair guys, there had been a problem with the ballast release mechanism. There apparently is dry sand all along the lower edge of the flag. The ballast must weigh quite a lot but, provided it is dispersed as individual grains of sand, it would not be a problem

I hate to be a killjoy, but I suspect that, even if there is not an issue with the ballast, it could have been lethal if that huge area of cloth had landed on traffic or something that needed clear visibility or was susceptible to getting tangled up.