PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Veterans' Day
Thread: Veterans' Day
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2006, 23:35
HGFC1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Saturday I had the privilege of helping to marshall the 130+ light aircraft who visited Wolverhampton for Project Propellor. Before things got too busy I was able to help one or two of these wonderful old gentlemen as they got out of their aircraft. All were very smartly dressed and looked forward to catching up with old friends and comrades. Their roles during WW2 were varied, one was a former Lancaster pilot who claimed he wasn't quite as agile as he would have liked to be "But then I have two stainless steel knees and two stainless steel hips" he said but he could get out of that Warrior faster than I could have done, others had been based at Halfpenny Green as it was then known, all had memories which I wish I had had the time to hear. Many photos were taken - always including their pilot in them. Their delight at being there was lovely to see and their presence had quite an effect on the young FIs and others. Who cared if they needed to sit on our chairs or asked for a drink? We were just pleased to be able to provide it. The day was a private affair for them but we were all able to enjoy the final event - the flypast of one of the BBMF's Spitfires. This was a small recognition of what they had done for us and, as I said, I felt privileged to have been there.