PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DID OXFORD FIRE BEST INSTRUCTOR ????
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2006, 12:50
c_jephcott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have ummed and ahhed about replying to this thread as I am actually starting in Oxford in August.

The reason why I chose it, well, above all else it was the graduation statistics. Sure, it might be more expensive than the rest, but above all else, if the majority of students do go on to get jobs in a shortish period of time, then who am I to complain? As I am putting down a substantial amount of money for this course, I am convinced that Oxford was the best option for this. Obviously, there will be a fair degree of spin said, but since when does a company not use spin as a marketing technique? All other FTOs are exactly the same though in that aspect - I spoke to a few students at Cabair who were experiencing quite large delays in recieving their training. You don't so much read about that in here, except if OAT had done that, hell would hath had no fury amongst the writers in here.

Above all else though, it is just the most infuriating thing to read some of your comments on the school. Fair enough, you can comment and there's noone going to stop you on that... the fact is that OAT has been running for a long time, and although more expensive than other rival schools, it will get you that magical piece of paper with "licence" written on it at the end. What is pathetic is the fact that some people chose to continue their crusades against the school in such a place. Shame on you, you should be encouraging "wannabes" and not condemning our decisions for which FTO we chose to go to.

I looked around Oxford and must say that from the very start, I was made to feel at home. The staff were friendly and polite, but above all else, what really helped to influence my mind was the fact that all the current students I have spoken to (and I have spoken to quite a few, at various stages of their training) have not had a bad word to say about the training they have recieved. Also, OAT must be doing something right, or else Thomas Cook would have taken their scheme elsewhere.

Obviously, I believe that you cannot comment on something unless you have experienced it yourself - so it's all very well with you guys on here putting OAT down at every single opportunity, but above all else, I must wonder if any of you have actually experienced any of the training that has been offered there.

Anyway, I think I should probably get off my soap box and expect the fall out from this to come any minute, so I might just go and take shelter... but above all else, you should be actively encouraging students and wannabe pilots. And not spending a vast amount of time convincing people that they are wrong to go to OAT. Any school that can get you the licence is good, and any school with a proven record of employment is worth it, be that price £5000 or £15000 more expensive than the others.

Cheers guys,

Chris