PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - malcolm kendall smith is free...ish!
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2006, 21:32
air pig

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Kendall Smith stood up for what he believed as a principle, but in doing so allowed his potential patients on all sides to be deprived of medical care. He would only have been armed in accordance to the Geneva Convention, in that arms are only carried for the protection of patients.

Numerous medical and nursing staff with HM Forces have performed acts of bravery over the years, despite many I suspect having grave reservations about the conflict that they were engaged in.

Whether the present conflicts that HM Forces are involved in are legal or not, should matter very little to the medical services. They are there to treat any and all victims of a conflict, without fear or favour. If you choose to undertake the obligations of the uniform and as a doctor, then you accept the tasks presented to you. Kendall Smith has also as I have previously stated broken the bond between the medical staff and the troops, in that we will do our best to get you well and send you home to your familly, and you will protect us whilst we undertake that task. i would suggest that this " gentleman" tries to volunteer for a medical charity such as MSF or Merlin, in order to redeem in my opinion, his "honour"

Political posturing in this situation has no relevance, his and anybody else in the medical services is to render help to his fellow man. Another medical officer will have been and is probably still on deployment in Kendall Smith's place, they too may have had reservation about the legalities of these conflicts, but have still gone to look after and care for the ill and injured.