PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which sector do you want?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2006, 18:32
Mr R Sole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of the attitudes displayed here date back to the time when CRM wasn't taught. As a F/O you are trained to actually fly the aircraft as well as fill in the flight report and all the other bits of the rain forest that you accumulate during a days flying. The attitude of 'it is the Captains right to give sectors away' is antiquated and dates back to when being an F/O was when you were simply a flap and a pen operator and nothing much more than that. Such an attitude is counter productive to the team working ethos on the flight deck since a very steep left to right gradient will form and the F/O will undoubtedly feel undermined! I feel sorry for any F/O who falls foul of such an attitude if he asks a simple question before he leaves the crew room

Some of the situations described here are more akin to an air taxi operator where on an empty sector; a pilot's assistant may be offered to fly the sector. However the true colours of some skippers are obviously showing that they obviously regard their right seat colleague as simply an admin assistant and not a qualified pilot!

If the weather or the approach is demanding then in some cases it would be foolish for a F/O to fly that sector so it makes sense for the Capt to operate that one but when conditions permit the F/O to operate then I still can't see the problem when the F/O asks what sectors the Capt wants to do!

No doubt my comments will seem harsh to some but we are in the 21st century and attitudes should reflect this without undermining the total authority of the commander.