PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEC's at EK
Thread: DEC's at EK
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2006, 19:17
Riker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by remlap
I am a 47 year old Captain at DAL who is seriously considering flying overseas. Will it be EK, I don't know. I don't harbor any illusions that EK will be perfect. Far from it. I think the rostering is onerous and the pay substandard. At this time I plan to stay at my carrier until I am 50. Upon reaching 50 I will be fully eligible for whatever remains of my retirement.

I don't think the downward spiral for the legacy carriers has come to an end. My union is a union in name only. While true the Company can't just take, they get whatever they ask for. I would be surprised if I finish my flying career for DAL. The outlook for my airline is simply not that good. One of the legacy carriers will have to shut their doors due to overcapacity. It is just a matter of time.

I hear all these posts about inflation and going to the web it seems that prices in the UAE are not significanly more than I currently pay for products and services in the US. The fact that the income would be tax free is very attractive. Also, by moving overseas into paid housing, it allows me to sell my home and invest the proceeds in an investment vehicle that will net greater returns.

By my company terminating my pension it has removed any incentive to stay. My services are available to the highest bidder.
Remlap,

I appreciate what you are saying. I guess I have heard so much about these "road shows" and I have heard so many people talk about how EK has not lived up to its agreements, etc. that I am somewhat skeptical about any offer they provide. Everyone knows EK is desparate to hire pilots for two reasons: 1) fleet growth and 2) attrition rates. I have talked to former EK 777 pilots who returned to the UK to fly for Easyjet - and it was not due to a dislike of warm weather.

At the end of the day, it is your decision. But I would just caution US pilots to enter these agreements with their eyes WIDE open. Seek multiple opinions first - including those from existing EK pilots. Perhaps the Delta pilots could seek out some EK pilots at JFK and ask questions directly (just a thought) - EK serves JFK twice daily from Dubai. Always VERIFY EK's own claims and realize that you are no longer protected by US labor laws (or union protection). Trust but verify...

Remlap, I have heard good things about Singapore Cargo. Although Singapore might not be as appealing from a living standpoint, I have heard that they don't change contract terms on you. Plus, you would probably fly back to the States more often than you would with EK. Good luck!