PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEC's at EK
Thread: DEC's at EK
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2006, 19:06
remlap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why a Younger DEC Would Consider EK

I am a 47 year old Captain at DAL who is seriously considering flying overseas. Will it be EK, I don't know. FedEx will not interview active pilots at legacy carriers. Rumor has it, SWA won't interview legacy carrier captains because we do not share the "cowboy" culture they encourage for flight operations.

I don't harbor any illusions that EK will be perfect. Far from it. I think the rostering is onerous and the pay substandard. At this time I plan to stay at my carrier until I am 50. Upon reaching 50 I will be fully eligible for whatever remains of my retirement.

I don't think the downward spiral for the legacy carriers has come to an end. My union is a union in name only. While true the Company can't just take, they get whatever they ask for. I would be surprised if I finish my flying career for DAL. The outlook for my airline is simply not that good. One of the legacy carriers will have to shut their doors due to overcapacity. It is just a matter of time.

I hear all these posts about inflation and going to the web it seems that prices in the UAE are not significanly more than I currently pay for products and services in the US. The fact that the income would be tax free is very attractive. Also, by moving overseas into paid housing, it allows me to sell my home and invest the proceeds in an investment vehicle that will net greater returns.

By my company terminating my pension it has removed any incentive to stay. My services are available to the highest bidder.