PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEC's at EK
Thread: DEC's at EK
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2006, 14:16
Riker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Americans Hired As DEC at Emirates

I have heard that EK has been picking up experienced Capts and FOs from US airlines like Northwest, United and Delta and putting them into PIC positions on the 777 and A330/40. Clearly, most of them don't or have not read any of these Pprune posts related to EK. Evidently they were swooned at well-attended "road shows" in the States and there were many yanks interested in moving all the way to the desert and even resigning their positions at these carriers.

I can understand why a Northwest or Delta pilot near retirement age (mid to latter 50s) might be interested in giving EK a shot (especially as a 777 DEC), but when I hear that 45 or 50 year old pilots are willing to quit their current positions at their recovering airlines and head to EK it makes me sick. I wish them luck.

What promises (other than 777 DEC positions) were they given that would be so "enticing" for them to leave the States and trek all the way to the super high-inflation capital of the world? What deals are they getting beyond PIC position that others aren't getting? Why would you leave the protection that a union can afford and move to an airline where your terms can change on a dime at any time? Are they promising them A380 captain slots too?