PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR Communication
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2006, 12:41
ZuluWhiskey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Hawabaaz1, I had exactly the same problem coming home from doing my PPL in Florida, it's initially a nightmare, this is what I did:

1. To start with I bought and read Jeremy Pratt's PPL book on Communications, there's pretty much everything in there.
2. I joined a small flying club at a non controlled airfield and planned for every flight meticulously in terms of RT, i.e. I wrote down and learnt all things I had would have to say. After a few hours of this, you'll get used to it fairly quickly.
3. I got myself an airband scanner and listened to it as much as possible and predicted what the pilot would say back.
4. I flew with a friend who flies in a busy area and did bits of RT with him.
5. Lastly, I asked the instructor checking me out as many questions as I could think of. There's every chance he/she did some of their training in the States so will understand your problem.

I've started flying at a controlled airfield this last year and have had to up my RT a bit. I just did the same stuff as before, basically, lots of exposure and not being afraid of asking the instructors what I thought were simple questions. Definitely daunting as first but you'll convert in no time.

Hope that helps
ZW