PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Six new 747-400ERFs on the way
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2006, 00:53
Sqwak7700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Cathay are also starting to see the light on the subject of engines. Less moving parts, less maintenance. It's as simple as that.

They are starting to get some experience on the the 3 PW aircraft on line now. I think the reason they were originally so hot for the RB-211 was that it was british made. With the cultural landscape at CX changing rapidly, I think costs, not politics, are now the main factor in deciding which powerplant to choose.

I flew the PW aircraft, and I gotta say, they are quietter, smoother, and a bit slicker. They also start better with no pause from fuel introduction to lightoff. Just one continuous N2 and EGT rise. The cabin crew also agreed. They came up to us in BKK and comented that the noise level was much lower and that the aircraft seemed a lot smoother. You can't even hear the engines from the flight deck until you aply TO thrust. Plus, as soon as the brake is released, the aircraft rolls without adding thrust. Although, that is probably due to the Idle setting as opposed to having more thrust. With 3 spools, the rollers probably idle at a lower, more fuel efficient setting (they have to sustain combustion with the much smaller N3 spinning as opposed to the bigger N2 spool on the Pratt.)

Back to the subject, I guess this confirms that rumor that CX had reserved the last few slots on the 400F line? I wonder if the fact that the Advanced is coming lowered the price on the 400F to entice CX to purchase them.

Since the deliveries are later on in 2008, I hope they end up changing them to Advanced 748 versions.

On a side note, I think I saw in some manual that the Roller's thrust is closer to 62K. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a result from the G/H T core upgrade?? I believe the straight RB-211 524G is lower thrust, but these are moded engines with an improved core.

Either way, I hope these aircraft come to CX, not any other carrier. I saw a little tid bit last week about CX helping Dragon Air with their "BCF operation". I didn't even know Dragon had a BCF operation, not to mention that it needed help. Any Dragon guys care to comment on that? Would love to know if the planned 6 BCFs are going to Dragon, or if they are expecting to order some of their own