PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan to the Sky, The End? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2006, 14:48
airsound

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Here are some random thoughts on some of the stinging criticism that has been levelled at VTTS recently in this thread. I say, once again, that I am not part of VTTS (nor VOC) - but I do believe in what they’re trying to do.

The VTTS business plan was professionally drawn up and exhaustively vetted by the Heritage Lottery Fund, among others. However, as with all large projects, not everything went to plan.

Things that caused problems were:
1. After approval of the plan, there was an unforeseen delay of 20 months before work started on the aircraft - a delay not caused by VTTS or VOC. That was expensive.
2. The plan relied on getting sponsorship. So far, there has been a shortfall of roughly £0.5m in sponsorship.
3. The major engineering contractor has recently announced a significant, unforeseen increase in costs of more than 50%.

It is worth noting that costs other than those of the major engineering contractor are within the planned budget, and that fundraising other than sponsorship exceeds the business plan projections.

Finally, may I suggest to anyone who is taking selective notice of what they see as some gloomier implications of the Summer 2006 Newsletter ( www.vulcantothesky.com and click on newsletter ) -
you should also look at the front page messages of Marshall Aerospace and the Heritage Lottery Fund, both of which are optimistic and supportive.

A V 8, I did say at Cosford that XH558 could be airborne this year and could fly at next year’s Cosford show - and that is still possible. But it will only happen if those of us that care really make one huge effort to stop this amazing project falling at the last fence.

Standing by for incoming

airsound

PS. andrewmcharlton, The Swinging Monkey, Winco, please chk PMs.