PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 60 Hearing For Ex-Air Canada Pilot
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2006, 14:14
royalterrace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huck

Correct, I am a Captain. Although the money is important this issue is about more than that. The way I feel now , if the rules didn't change , I would probably move into the right seat to continue to fly. Some argue that ones lifespan is reduced by flying past 60. Others would argue that retirement puts some in their graves early.

I see where your going and it is a valid concern. I might have taken the same view when I was 25. Slower upgrades suck but I maintain that the number of Capt's actually taking advantage of a 60+ rule would not seriously impede ones promotion and that the small amount of extra time spent in the right seat would be more than worth the option to fly to 60-65 when that time comes , as it will to us all someday. A little pain now for a possible large gain later.

Still , in the AC example above , it is apparent that many Capt's voted this down and I think the situation is the same at ALPA. The ALPA situation is particularly perplexing with pensions being trashed in the US.