PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glou idiot !
Thread: Glou idiot !
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2006, 23:06
pulse1

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
When I re-qualified for my PPL in 1998, I was given no instruction on the use of a transponder. Only one of the school aircraft had one and the first time I flew this particular aircraft was on my solo qualifying Xcountry for which I had to fly through two AIAA's. I had previously only done one of the three legs with an instructor and this was not through either AIAA which, for that flight on a weekend, were not active anyway. My solo flight was in the week when they were active.

Fortunately, I had flown to Newcastle with a friend a few weeks before and had learned how to use the transponder by watching him and this helped me to get a superb RIS through both areas. But no thanks to my instructor.

On my last bi annual check which was with a CAA examiner, I was not asked about Notams and cannot remember them coming up in any of my previous ones.

My neighbour is currently learning to fly and I do not get the impression that Notams figure very strongly in his flight preparation either. In my view they should be treated as important as fuel before every flight, even if you are just planning to do circuits - it can be a bit embarrassing to suddenly find you cannot use the taxiway you are used to.