PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arab pilots in America
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2006, 06:35
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a little better than that now. 100 multi is correct, but they are taking people with a low as 450TT.
flyboyike: Amazing! I had heard that a couple of the big airline acadamies had special arrangements for lower minimums with some commuters, but wow! A CFI I know just got her Skywest interview with about 1,000/100. Haven't heard how she did yet. I guess I shouldn't really be surprised that some airlines have lowered their requirements below that, but it is still amazing to me. But then, European LCCs seem to be putting some pretty low time pilots in Boeings and Airbuses. Go figure! I'll leave the argument as to the wisdom of such a practice to all the other threads on several forums to be sorted out.

Westhawk, well done, Sir. I hope her husband gets to read your great advice.
bafanguy: Thanks for the kind words. I simply don't wish to see so many young men and women enter into a career path like ours without the benefit of a little reality check to counter the sales job coming from the training industry. Flying careers should be entered into with eyes wide open and expectations realistic. It seems that within the last few years, expectations are far higher than reality can support. Those who really want it will stick it out while the casual pursuants will give up and go on to something else. Unfortunately, many of them will carry a large unpaid training debt with them wherever they go off to. They will not be "friends of aviation". It's a tough business for mentally and emotionally tough people. Flying the airplane is what makes it worth doing for me. I don't know about everyone else, but when that is gone, so am I!

Flightinfo.com might be too corrupting an influence our friend's morale! Since it costs ten bucks to join FI now, that money may well be better spent over at propilotworld.com. This forum was created by some former FI mods and is open only to those holding a commercial pilot certificate or higher. This is verified through an identification process prior to access being granted. Similar to an idea proposed by the owner of this site. This policy has been effective in keeping posers, fakes, flamebaiters and troublemakers out of the discussions. Many of the screen names are familiar from flightinfo, who seem to have lost many of their more valuable contributors. However, a few of the good ones have not given up over there yet. Note that the quote (or paraphrase?) from my earlier post was from pilotyip, a particularily colorful and frank contributor at FI. Several of the PPW and FI members also frequent PPRuNe.

I don't know if anything I have stated here will be of assistance to Married2APilot or her husband, but I hope so. He should be doing some kind of flying now if he hopes to take the next step. Whatever he chooses to do, I wish both of them the best of success and happiness just because the wife seems like a thoughtful and kind person.

Best regards,

Westhawk