PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arab pilots in America
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2006, 20:16
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The realities of pilot career progression

Married2APilot:

Please forgive me for saying this, but it sounds as though your husband has an unrealistic view of his prospects at this point in the process of gaining qualifications for a career as a professional pilot. While there may indeed be exceptions, it is generally the case that a commercial pilot certificate and 250 hours is the very bottom rung of the ladder with respect to finding work as a pilot in the USA. This is the minimum qualification required to accept compensation for performing pilot duties. Consequently, the sort of pilot jobs open to individuals with that level of experience and qualification are generally limited to what are considered "entry level" pilot positions.

Presently in the USA, 250 hours won't meet the requirements to do much outside of flight instructing. For this, a CFI certificate is required. (more financial and time/effort investment!) While it is a shame that market forces have created the situation whereby the least experienced pilots in the employment pool are placed in the position of teaching people to fly, this is indeed common and the most often pursued path for pilot career progression in the USA. The shame is that, as you say, "everyone isn't a teacher". Nevertheless, this is how it is most often done.

Typically, someone will work as a CFI for a period of time to gain hours and learn by teaching. Most will stick with this work until they can get their second flying job. Towing banners, flying traffic watch, pipeline patrol, hauling skydivers, glider tow and VFR charter are all possibilities once a few hundred hours have been logged. More time building. Many CFIs will gain instrument and mult-engine instructor ratings to increase their marketabilitiy and begin building that all-important multi time. Commuter and regional airlines are currently hiring first officers at around 1,000 hours with 100 multi minimum. Averages may be higher. These jobs are just further stepping stones in the process since they often actually pay less than instructing! More time building. The end result of all this "paying your dues" is that the "faint of heart" will be weeded out by this difficult and demanding process. Only dedicated individuals will progress further. Those that make it this far have learned much, but then must then qualify for their ATP certificate. You must be an ATP to captain the jet. Then... more time building. After 7-10 years of working as a pilot, the major airlines might be interested if they are in a hiring trend. If not, it will take longer.

Some, like myself, chose a different route. I went into jet charter as an entry level co-pilot after instructing part time for several years. I had another career in aviation while I built time because I wanted a decent standard of living. This meant that it took longer and I was older before I made captain in small charter jets, where I remain today. But I always made a decent living along the way and took no loans. Each person chooses their own path and lives with the consequences, good and bad.

In Europe and some other parts of the world, things may work differently. For information on that, I would pose the question to the "Questions" forum. Perhaps this explains your husband's visits to other countries. Here in the US, he's got a long ways to go! When a pilot tells him to "keep doing what you're doing", I would hope he is under the impression that your husband is a working pilot building time. Otherwise, it's bad advice. It is most unfortunate that flight schools and others who profit from the dreams of neophytes seem to always gloss over the realities of a career flying airplanes. Only those who really want to do it deep down inside their gut will make it very far once the realities become apparent. That's not to say that a lucky few won't find an easier path. Mine wasn't really so bad, but then I really have the "flying bug" bad!

If your husband really wants to pursue this career, I respectfully suggest he devote his energies to getting into a position to build time and experience. Time spent trying to get lucky with a shortcut has only an outside chance of paying off. If he is in this for any reason other than to fly airplanes, this probably isn't a good career choice. To quote (probably incorrectly!) a member of another online forum: " If you are in this for prestige, respect or money, you'll probably be disappointed. Fly because you like to." That is good advice!

As to how you are to deal with all of this, I have no advice for you. Not my area of expertise. My sincere apologies. Perhaps you could find a good book on the subject. I don't personally know of one. In any case, the very best of wishes to you.

Best regards,

Westhawk