PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates. Decision on F/O Position.
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2006, 17:27
Oblaaspop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chaps, I don't want to get drawn into an argument about the pro's and con's of company policy etc - we would be here for ever moaning about it, lets just agree that 98% of company policy sucks as far as the F/O's and their families are concerned!

But just to clarify a couple of points:

1. I am an F/O (I started using 'Oblaaspop' 6 years ago when I was a skipper and couldn't be bothered to change the profile! sorry)

2. The entire point of my post is definately not to BIG UP Emirates (god forbid!), but to simply state that I am considerably better off here than where I was in the UK.

3. You could in theory take the housing allowance, an live in a tent (with aircon) or your mates garden shed, in which case that money (1500 squid) would be yours, for you to dispose of as you wish...True?

4. Admitedly, the allowance will not cover all your mortgage/bills (probably only 60-70%), however when you sell the house (assuming it hasn't fallen over) you will have 60-70% or more equity than you would have had if it just came out of your own pocket - and that equity can be taken with you - its YOURS not the Sheiks.

5. In a previous post someone (I forgot who - sorry), stated that a new joiner would start on £2860 at todays exchange rate (7 ish), but failed to mention the exchange rate protection (which is there to go some way towards protecting against high rates) which would give about another £200 on top. (I'm sure you just forgot to mention it, so I thought I would )

6. I still come up with a figure of just under £5k (with the accom allowane)- help me out peeps what have I missed?

Finally, dont have a pop at a guy for stating facts and figures, unless you are prepared to provide PRECISE facts and figures to counter the argument and not just vague emotionally charged heresay.

Taking cover!!!