PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF - 2
Thread: CARDIFF - 2
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2006, 11:20
CWL_Chris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jetstream7
So if bmiBaby are no longer interested in CWL-CDG, and Air France don't want to be interested, what are the options?
Current operators from CWL....
Eastern / Air Arran / Air Southwest? No current routes to Paris from any of these, so it's definitely a step into unknown territory for them.
Time for CWL to welcome flyBE perhaps? Or a return for BA Connect?
I think that Aer Arran may actually take up the CWL-CDG route. They have said that they wish to expand on the four routes that they already operate from CWL and CDG would be a natural progression. If they did decide to operate a CDG route from CWL, they may also look at operating; CWL-IOM and CWL-INV. Eastern are also a possiblity, however I feel that they will be looking more at domestic routes from CWL to airports such as; ABZ and LCY.

I agree withTwinAisle's suggestion that Eastern are the most likely but, as he points out, the fares will be expensive.
I think that the CWL-CDG route does have some scope for the leisure market and that it would be a shame if the route was operated by Eastern with their high priced fares.

In hindsight it is probably a pity that bmibaby ever went to CWL because Flybe would surely have seriously considered setting up a network from there not dissimilar to that from SOU and, increasingly, from EXT.
I agree with you 100% on BMIbaby choosing CWL and Flybe looking at CWL ... However, what about the likes of Jet2 at CWL? I think they could be a success at CWL.

Their aircraft sizes are probably more suitable for several low cost routes not flown by baby out of CWL because the 737 is too big.
I agree with you here also. CDG is an example of this and to a lesser extent, routes such as TLS, MUC and ZRH. All of which could work from CWL, however not with a 737, but something more like a 50-60 seater aircraft.

Flybe might yet make some sort of appearance at CWL of course and Aer Arann seems keen on building up routes from there, so who knows?
Flybe = hopefully.. one day
Aer Arran = They'll expand at CWL

As for Air Southwest, they currently only fly within the UK and to the Channel Islands. I hope they will expand into the near Continent and Republic of Ireland.
Me too, they could probably operate a few routes to Europe that would work well from the airports they operate from.

Regards,
Chris