PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Briefings for Trial Lessons
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2006, 10:54
P.Pilcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, of course, what you say and what you do in the trial lesson is totally dependent on your customer and the aim of the briefing before the lesson is to find out what sort of customer you have got so that the further briefing and lesson itself can be tailored to fit.
There are many different types of customer: for example there are the ones we want who are really keen to start learning to fly. Then there are the ones who have been bought a birthday/Christmas present of an unusual experience, then there are the computer geeks who want to compare flying their simulator software with the real thing. (Their flying ability can really suprise you!) And then there are the brave sensible souls who are scared witless of the thought of flying, are about to undergo their first passenger flight on holiday and have decided that the best way to try and overcome their fear is to face it head on with a flying lesson! Oh yes - and there is also the ex-RAF fast jet pilot who hasn't flown for thirty or so years and wants to have a go again.

For each type (and I've had them all) there is a different sort of "trial lesson" and it is during the 1-to-1 chat bit that you find out what type your customer is and then think on your feet to decide what to do, and more importantly what you are going to get them to do. With the exception of two of the above categories it should be, IMHO for them to get their hands on the controls and keep them there for as long as possible! I could go on for hours about this important topic, but I hope the above will generate some food for thought for my less experienced colleagues.

P.P.