PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arab pilots in America
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2006, 20:39
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't think that he would...but people are more prejudiced than you think they are, not to mention the fact that the American government has succeeded at making many of us scared at the thought of an arab man flying any plane anywhere.
Married2APilot:

Not really that surprising is it? Considering the events which have taken place. People, being human, are bound have a certain pre-disposition toward classifying people similar in appearance to the individuals involved in the terrorist attacks as potential threats until they able to judge the individuals personally through knowing them. Keep in mind that the attackers moved freely within our country while they prepared for their plot.

Having said all that, I find that individual people set aside these understandable prejudices once they get to know someone. Or not, if the person tends to live up to their negative stereotype. Their personal experiences with a person tend to trump any pre-concieved ideas as to the character of a person which might have been assumed based upon their "profile" prior to knowing them. All of us have to live with the fact that we are judged on the basis of our appearance until people take the time and trouble to know us. I find that those people who are outgoing and caring can quickly gain support and friendship from people wherever they go. Having known and flown with people from many cultures from around the world, I can assure you that it is the individual character of a person which matters most to a majority of people, particularily in the pilot community. There will always be a certain number of individuals who cannot see beyond their prejudices and will not be deterred from their narrowly focused mindset. Such is life.

A friend of mine who is of Iranian descent is a pilot at a major airline. Everybody who knows him likes and respects him for his character and personal accomplishments. Aside from just being a likable guy, he has helped several people I know, including myself. Shortly after 9/11, while loading at the gate on a flight with his airline, a passenger stood up and objected to flying on the airplane with him as a flight crewmember, based upon his "Arabic" appearance and name. The captain of the aircraft removed that passenger from the flight and made it clear that anyone else who was "uncomfortable" were also free to disembark. None did.

Your husband may indeed face some prejudice on the part of some individuals. That experience will test the personal character of anybody who faces it. All I can say is that those individuals who face this with grace and aplomb seem to win out in the end. Those who carry a chip on their shoulder seem to find prejudice wherever they look. I would not presume to say I know what it feels like to walk a mile in another person's shoes, but I can say that I, and most people I know, tend to set aside any prejudices we might have in favor of what we know about a person after getting to know them.

Best of success to your husband in his endeavors. Should he elect to proceed in aviation, his level of success will be determined mostly by the same factors as for everyone else. Hard work, qualifications, personal associations, good market timing and the right location are all important factors in achieving success. And a few lucky breaks can't hurt either!

Best regards,

Westhawk