PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - what's the most stupid thing a passenger has done?
Old 18th Jun 2006, 20:03
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 430 Likes on 227 Posts
Carrying out a troop insertion in the Belize jungle with a certain group of people that we don't mention. Had a senior member of said group in left hand seat as he wanted to recce the area as we looked for a suitable landing site. Just coming to a high hover (about 100 feet) inside a clearing when the LHS passenger decided it was time to get out.

Without saying anything he took off his headset, unstrapped and began to climb over the jumpseat into the cabin.

Problem was, the cyclic was in his way - so he just pushed it hard to the left and for good measure gave it a backwards kick as he vacated the seat. The aircraft rolled left and then forwards and down towards the trees. He suddenly realised what he had done and froze, hanging onto the the broom cupboard corner - and ME. I elbowed him very hard across the back of his legs and he let me go. It was VERY close to a disaster.

He did apologise afterwards.

Not as bad as a colleague's incident. He was carrying out a night insertion exercise with a stick of troops in the back. The crewman opened one of the doors at 200 feet on the approach, as per the SOP. As he moved across the cabin to open the second door, the soldiers began shouting. He turned around to see a vacant seat and horrified looks from the remaining soldiers. Their CO, a Major, who had been asleep by all accounts, had woken up, immediately unstrapped and walked out of the door into the night.