PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which sector do you want?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2006, 16:21
captjns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m usually at operations before the F/O… it’s just been a normal routine of mine over the years. I find it a relaxing way to prepare for the day’s duty. The paperwork is complete by the time the F/O reports. I give a full brief as to loads, weights, and fuel, including tankering if required. I give a detailed discussion as to why I elected the amount of fuel to be put on the jet and make sure the other guy is OK with my decision. I also stress to the F/O, never to be intimidated into taking minimum amounts of fuel that he would be uncomfortable while taking into consideration of weather, traffic delays, anticipated holding, etc.

Another imoprtant point is to include the F/O in the crew brief with the F/A's. This helps forster the team concept which is aides in the success of the day's operation.

As far who flies the jet, and what sectors… let the F/O fly as many legs has they want, provided no special airports or crappy weather is involved. There are some airports out there where the approach or departure procedure can be a good confidence builder for a new F/O.

But as always, you need to be on the prowl for those newbies that are legends in their own minds, and are probably more impressed with their abilities than you will be. They are pretty easy to deal with to. But that is for another thread.