PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA ATPL Distance Learning Ground School
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2006, 23:00
Leezyjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am self studying with BGS along with working full time.

The ATPL ground school was always going to be my weakest area, and I really wanted to take it as a full time course, but couldn't afford to take the time off work to do it, so I have had to opt for the self study route.

If I'm in a class room environment, I'm fine with study and take it in and get on with it, but when I'm left to my own devices, I'll do anything rather than study - heck I've even done ironing !!.

I just can't seem to get into it when I'm at home as there are too many distractions such as the TV, PC, X-Box, G/F etc. The only time I have been doing any study is when I have been working nights, so I have only been doing about 2-4 hours a week and I'm now not working nights anymore, so not been doing any the last couple of weeks.

I know this isn't going to get me a seat in a nice shiny jet, but I've got 2 months working overseas coming up in which I plan to take all my stuff with me as I'll be stuck in a compound when I'm not working with little else to do, and a load of qualified ATPL's on tap . I'm hoping I will be able to plough through most of it during that time.

I have been toying with the idea of jacking the self study in and taking the 6 months off work and paying to go on a full time course, but I can't justify the extra expense at this stage - I could if I knew for certain there was a job waiting, but alas there isn't so I have to keep a cash flow coming in whilst still keeping costs down.

It depends on your own study style, some people (like me) just cannot self study, some can. Weigh the costs of both up including the time and make your decision from there.

Good luck with whatever you choose.