PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM
Thread: BIRMINGHAM
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2006, 21:22
Flap15Geardown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dred
I am sure if you looked a little closer at what was going on you would be aware that it isn't the Ops department that has the problem it is their IT. They have no way of knowing if messages are being sent until they start getting phone calls or clues start to pop up as everything appears normal. Everyone blames everyone else for the faults and little progress is made. If you have any doubts about the amount of work that they put in I would suggest you make an effort to go and see for yourself what actually happens. I am certain they would make you feel most welcome and you would have a much better understanding of the pressure they are under, last I heard it was 5 different check in systems, a seperate load control system, find for mvt's and messages, faxes over the email system as well as monitoring the airport fids system for flights that either don't call or have come from a station that doesn't send mvt's. On top of that there are four phones going most of the day and non stop radio traffic to monitor on the air/ground and base system. All this is run by two people, and an assistant if there is actually one rostered or not out despatching a/c or bridging flybe's. I am told that the noise in there can easily hit 85db+, I don't think you would survive too long on the flight deck if you had to work under those conditions day in and day out.
Two rants in two days, I must be turning into Victor Meldrew time to lie down in a dark room to recover