PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar/AO threads Merged
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2006, 14:17
Ron & Edna Johns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, I said it back in April in this thread:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...87#post2532887

.... that perhaps we are going to see some individual contracts to entice Aussies o/s - in places such as Emirates - back to Aust and JQ. And yes, fistfokker, it is completely legal in JWH's brave new world. The Certified Agreement means nothing - if just one single employee wishes to work on an AWA (individual agreement) alongside 99 other employees that work under a Certified/Collective Agreement, he can. Pure and simple. And he can do so in complete confidentiality too. That's the L.A.W.

The Jetstar guys voted to change their EBA to emcompass wide-body aircraft for minimal extra bucks. They don't seem to actually want to do the flying though. The only way it seems JQ can get guys is from overseas, and on what is sounding like significantly better T&C's.

Is it starting to sink into the Jetstar guys yet as to how industrially naive they have been? If only they had worked with AIPA on this, instead of insisting on a confidentiality agreement (yes, it was the JQ guys who wanted the confidentiality agreement, not Qantas!). Perhaps then we collectively could have worked out a way to provide existing A330 pilot labour to JQI at the productive level that Dixon and Joyce want. Ah, but no....... the JPC wanted to provide the "genuine alternative source of pilot labour to the Qantas Group". And they simply didn't want to hear how badly they were were underselling themself on the world market.

So now we have about 60 surplus A330 pilots in mainline. A dodgy CA in Jetstar that most of them don't actually seem to fully utilise and AWA's about to mix in there too. Chuck in the wet-lease concept up at CNS, don't even remind me about JitConnict, and what a bloody shambles the Qantas "Group" is becoming by the day......

Well, with EK needing to lift its establishment from 1400 pilots to 2400 pilots over 4 years - so that's not even accounting for attrition - that's where the demand is and if it's true that the EK blokes have asked EK for a better deal then they may get it. Supply and demand - yes, JWH's brave new world again! Indeed, it is common talk around QF flight-decks/bars that if EK upp-ed their package by about 20% then QF guys would be seriously looking at going. Junior F/O's I'm flying with are consistently thinking and saying that, and even I (as a junior-ish S/H Capt) would be thinking seriously about it, especially given we are going nowhere fast with the S/H EBA.... more 'ing......

Last edited by Ron & Edna Johns; 14th Jun 2006 at 14:38.