PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how to improve LOOKOUT? or Flightsimmer Problems...?
Old 7th Jun 2006, 20:32
Confabulous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MJ and IO540 have very good points, there's not much for me to add!

I admit I had the same problem going from the sim to real life - flying the real thing is a bit like agoraphobia - suddenly you see far too much. For lookout, my instructor told me to imagine I'm about to be jumped by an Me-109 - it does wonders!

One of the great things about real life is that it's frequently inaccurate - even with the latest version of X-Plane (used only for research purposes ) it seems difficult to land - or at least until you compare it with the real thing, which is so easy it's unrealistic!

Next time you're up, take a look out along the wing and roll a couple of degrees each way. You'll notice adverse yaw is very obvious (at least on the Warrior II), and it's a good way of teaching your feet what to do. Do a couple of large deflection aileron movements and you'll notice the roll is a lot faster and smoother with a hefty boot of rudder. Also realise that at climb power you MUST have one foot (usually the right one) doing some work, even more at slower speeds.

Attitude is the single most important factor in flying, but it's self regulating once the aircraft is trimmed correctly. When it's trimmed for level flight at 90 knots, open the throttle to max. The aircraft won't accelerate, but climb. Counterintuitive but fascinating!

I HIGHLY recommend www.av8n.com for an explanation of how an aircraft really flies - none of this "attitude + power = performance" nonsense... whoever thought that up should be forced to fly Cessnas for the rest of their life!